This semester I am taking Art History, European History, American National Government, French, Web Design, and World Literature. That is a full 18 credit hours, which I have never had before, so we shall see how that works out by the end of the semester when all of the papers and such are due at the same time. So far, I have had a great semester, and I hope that it continues that way.
I feel like in art history I am learning the most new things. Before last semester, I had not been interested in art at all; I didn't understand it, and it just felt boring to me. Now that I am learning about art in all kinds of different periods, what distinguishes the periods, what distinguished the artists, what was happening in the world at the time, I feel a greater appreciation for a lot more art than before. I think that some of the most interesting art that I have seen thus far has been Baroque art; it just has so much movement, and usually a strong narrative that is easy to follow. When we are actually learning about the different pieces, it is very interesting. Unfortunately for me, my professor is an artist herself, and likes to go on and on about the elements of art, which are not so interesting. I am sure it is very useful for me to know those things, but I don't enjoy discussing all of the elements (I don't remember them all, which goes to show how interested in them I am, but there a more than a few) as found in a single (and in my opinion, very ugly) painting. (here is a link to the painting, I don't want a picture of it to be on my blog where I have to look at it. )
We had to discuss that monstrosity for about three classes at the beginning of the semester, and while I am sure it is a great example of extensive symbolism and meaning in art, it is one of my least favourite things at which to look.
We had to discuss that monstrosity for about three classes at the beginning of the semester, and while I am sure it is a great example of extensive symbolism and meaning in art, it is one of my least favourite things at which to look.
My History professor, Dr. Van Hall is pretty much the greatest professor that there ever was. He gets so excited about the material that he has to present, and tells stories like no other. He also has a sense of humor and wants his students to excel in his classes. He also is very good at making his lectures interesting. He is the only one of my professors that lectures without any discussion or questions, but I think that that is because he can't really hear you unless he stands right by you, and you have repeated yourself several times (he blames his hearing loss on Obama; "before Obama became president, I could hear!"), so it is a good thing that he is the one talking the whole time. He is making me interested in ancient history, which is something I never thought would be possible.
My government class brings forth mixed emotions in me. I am not particularly fond of the professor for several reasons. First, he mumbles at the end of his words sometimes which just bothers me for some reason, like, you are lecturing to a class, put some effort into your diction! Secondly, he is the type of person that won't say outright that he is always right, but he just exudes that attitude, and honestly, I don't think he is a good enough teacher for that to be appropriate. Third, he makes us stay in class longer than necessary (I mean, please stop talking about Trump! I am getting depressed). One of the few good things about the class is that I am learning a whole lot about our system of government and our election processes, which is a very good thing. On the downside, almost every bit of current news about our elections is depressing. I don't want most of the candidates that are doing well to do well (I am a Cruz supporter, and very anti-Trump), and when certain candidates (like Trump) do well in certain state primaries, I get worried, even though I know that there really isn't much to do about it but vote (for Cruz) and pray.
My French professor is the same as last semester, and as funny and eccentric as ever. We are slowly learning more French (not because he teaches the concepts slowly, but that he likes to talk, and sometimes we just talk the whole class (he says its about teaching us French culture) and don't even need to open our books) though it feels like I will never be fluent. He is offering French 121 next semester (the third and last French class that our campus offers), and I have not decided whether I am going to take it yet. I would love to learn more French, but I am not sure that the best way to do that is to take it from Dr. Garane.
Web Design hasn't technically started yet, since it is an eight-week online course that begins after spring break. But my professor has opened the class for those who want to get a head start on the assignments, which I have done. I need to work a lot on those assignments this week.
World Literature is probably tied with History for being the most interesting. We are reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, which has been quite an adventure so far. I am exactly half way through, and I already cannot believe how much has happened in the first six-hundred pages. We meet on Fridays for two and a half hours, and are quizzed on the material every week. Last week we had an exam, and I spent almost two hours answering essay questions. The professor is retiring after this semester, and has always wanted to do a study on War and Peace, so he decided that now would be a good time. So far we have been in the 'peace' part (even though there has been a fair amount of war), and I am told that the next half is the devastating 'war' part (when Napoleon invades Russia). Professor Nims went on for a while about how shocking and heartbreaking some parts of the second half would be, so I am a little nervous, since I think that there has already been enough heartbreak (I mean, poor Prince Andrei!). Sometimes I just want to yell at the characters for their stupid mistakes, and yet I still love the ones that I have loved since the beginning. I feel like this is a sign of a very good book.
I am also working at school for my Computer science professor. I have gotten more hours this semester (he has a few more classes, and needs even more help with grading), which has been very nice. It has also opened up an opportunity to apply for a summer position at the school, which the security administrator (and fellow assistant to Dr. Currence) thinks that I have a good chance of getting. The only bad thing about working at school is that I have to be there for the eight o'clock class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which means that I have to leave the house at twenty after seven, which means that I don't get as much sleep as I would like. And since I have to leave by eight thirty every other morning, the only day that I can sleep past seven is Saturday, which is hard for me, since I am a day person (I don't particularly care to be out in the early mornings or late nights, just day time).
I am very happy with how the semester has gone so far, but am very glad for my break this week. I look forward to being able to sleep in!
My government class brings forth mixed emotions in me. I am not particularly fond of the professor for several reasons. First, he mumbles at the end of his words sometimes which just bothers me for some reason, like, you are lecturing to a class, put some effort into your diction! Secondly, he is the type of person that won't say outright that he is always right, but he just exudes that attitude, and honestly, I don't think he is a good enough teacher for that to be appropriate. Third, he makes us stay in class longer than necessary (I mean, please stop talking about Trump! I am getting depressed). One of the few good things about the class is that I am learning a whole lot about our system of government and our election processes, which is a very good thing. On the downside, almost every bit of current news about our elections is depressing. I don't want most of the candidates that are doing well to do well (I am a Cruz supporter, and very anti-Trump), and when certain candidates (like Trump) do well in certain state primaries, I get worried, even though I know that there really isn't much to do about it but vote (for Cruz) and pray.
My French professor is the same as last semester, and as funny and eccentric as ever. We are slowly learning more French (not because he teaches the concepts slowly, but that he likes to talk, and sometimes we just talk the whole class (he says its about teaching us French culture) and don't even need to open our books) though it feels like I will never be fluent. He is offering French 121 next semester (the third and last French class that our campus offers), and I have not decided whether I am going to take it yet. I would love to learn more French, but I am not sure that the best way to do that is to take it from Dr. Garane.
Web Design hasn't technically started yet, since it is an eight-week online course that begins after spring break. But my professor has opened the class for those who want to get a head start on the assignments, which I have done. I need to work a lot on those assignments this week.
World Literature is probably tied with History for being the most interesting. We are reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, which has been quite an adventure so far. I am exactly half way through, and I already cannot believe how much has happened in the first six-hundred pages. We meet on Fridays for two and a half hours, and are quizzed on the material every week. Last week we had an exam, and I spent almost two hours answering essay questions. The professor is retiring after this semester, and has always wanted to do a study on War and Peace, so he decided that now would be a good time. So far we have been in the 'peace' part (even though there has been a fair amount of war), and I am told that the next half is the devastating 'war' part (when Napoleon invades Russia). Professor Nims went on for a while about how shocking and heartbreaking some parts of the second half would be, so I am a little nervous, since I think that there has already been enough heartbreak (I mean, poor Prince Andrei!). Sometimes I just want to yell at the characters for their stupid mistakes, and yet I still love the ones that I have loved since the beginning. I feel like this is a sign of a very good book.
I am also working at school for my Computer science professor. I have gotten more hours this semester (he has a few more classes, and needs even more help with grading), which has been very nice. It has also opened up an opportunity to apply for a summer position at the school, which the security administrator (and fellow assistant to Dr. Currence) thinks that I have a good chance of getting. The only bad thing about working at school is that I have to be there for the eight o'clock class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which means that I have to leave the house at twenty after seven, which means that I don't get as much sleep as I would like. And since I have to leave by eight thirty every other morning, the only day that I can sleep past seven is Saturday, which is hard for me, since I am a day person (I don't particularly care to be out in the early mornings or late nights, just day time).
I am very happy with how the semester has gone so far, but am very glad for my break this week. I look forward to being able to sleep in!
No comments:
Post a Comment